Rolling stone is the most recent in an extended line of media retailers to supply business leaders the choice of paying to jot down for the publication, as a part of an effort to make use of content material advertising and marketing and infomercials to generate new sources of revenue. The sort of technique, additionally utilized by Newsweek and Forbes, additionally highlights a rising consciousness of the influence and affect of thought management and the eagerness of business leaders to construct a media profile.
It is a pretty possibility: you pay a sum of cash to make sure that your writing will get printed in a well known or respected retailer. Apparently, this avoids the uncertainty of opinion shopping for throughout totally different retailers, obstructs the strict editorial requirements opinion pages have in place, and supplies a shortcut round experience and constructing a strong popularity with journalists and publishers. It sounds straightforward as a result of it is simple.
However is it thought management? No. Paying for writing alternatives is a part of a content material advertising and marketing or promoting technique, and there’s a position and a utility for these paid media methods. However for college presidents and senior leaders seeking to create a thought management platform, this isn’t it.
Media relations and thought management, achieved in a strategic and significant method, are troublesome. He’s motivated by concrete targets which serve not solely the chief but in addition the establishment. Presidents and different leaders seeking to increase their profile ought to spend the time creating and operating a long-term sustainable media profile as an alternative of spending $ 2,000 to get content material that in all probability hasn’t been edited to the identical exacting requirements and strong than a deserved placement.
Whereas it’d work for different industries, it does not work for greater schooling. As publications create paid content material and extra aggressive promoting methods, their readers have gotten extra savvy about recognizing these places. How do they really feel a few paid piece written by an institutional chief versus a deserved piece, in the event that they even see it in any respect? Is there a price to the credibility of the chief or the college to interact in an infomercial program?
One other essential consideration for leaders pressed for time is the extent of engagement required by sure paid alternatives. Retailers range in what their contributors want to provide, however even prolific presidents and high executives battle to constantly generate considerate articles at any given time. And that may turn into a burden to handle, ensuing within the manufacturing of substandard content material to satisfy a deadline and make the paid alternative value it. As a substitute of scrambling to slap just a few phrases with a purpose to get content material, spending time growing an express plan to advance thought management would take much less time in the long term and have much more influence.
This is what you are able to do as an alternative to construct a platform to be sure you’re producing high-quality, considerate content material:
- Set targets for thought management and media consciousness. Take into consideration the audiences you are attempting to achieve and the very best retailers for reaching them, in addition to how this work aligns with the areas of curiosity of the establishment.
- Set up an everyday brainstorming time along with your communications crew to analysis content material and react to related information which may supply alternatives for experience and writing.
- Create a calendar. It is unrealistic to anticipate a university president to jot down 12 performs per yr, which a few of these pay-to-play alternatives require. Establishing a practical schedule for the items and brainstorming earlier than these items creates accountability.
- Take the time to jot down. Even when it is only a matter of jotting down all of your ideas after a brainstorming session, sending factors to your crew to develop larger or react to your crew’s notes, all of those drills allow you to sharpen. your voice.
- Create a plan to leverage your efforts. The success of your play may be enhanced by sharing with goal audiences in alumni and scholar newsletters and on the web site, in addition to with a strategic plan for social media.
As with most points, you’ll be able to’t simply spend the cash and anticipate a powerful media profile. Relatively, that you must spend time growing and executing a technique, and that you must be considerate and intentional about your viewers and your alternatives. For those who do the arduous work, you will lay the inspiration for a sturdy media platform, and you will be higher capable of set up your self as a thought chief.