3RD OF MARCH
20 years ago (2002)
(Pictured) Brainerd High School wrestling coach Bob Brakke gave Class 3A State Champion Andy Pickar a thumbs up after Pickar became just the fifth Warrior wrestler to win a state title . Pickar’s victory was his 110th, placing the junior just one behind Jim Caughey’s school record. He will try to repeat next year to join Caughey as a two-time champion.
30 years ago (1992)
It took the county council 14 tries yesterday to reach an agreement on the commissioner’s new district lines. After rejecting 13 possible plans drawn up by auditor Roy Luukkonen, the council moved quickly to draw its own map. If passed, four of the districts will be opened and require an election; only the Second, with Barb Uppgaard, is holding up.
40 years ago (1982)
(Picture) Dean Svenby stands among some of the wood briquettes that fuel the Pine River schools’ boilers. They are formed from scrap wood by a local company, Durkee Manufacturing. Schools buy the briquettes at $42.50 a ton and save up to two-thirds on their fuel bills instead of burning fuel oil.
60 Years Ago (1962)
Ely, the Northern Junior College conference champion, defeated Brainerd for the third time this year, 94-77, to advance to the JC Region 13 Finals against Mankato. Bob Sheflo came off the bench to score 26 for Brainerd, but Ely’s big men dominated the boards. Ron Johnson with 18 and Roger Converse with 12 helped Brainerd.
80 years ago (1942)
Perry Hickerson, son of SR Hickerson, 704 N. 7th Street, passed tests qualifying him as a flying cadet, according to reports received by his parents. Perry, a graduate of the CAA flight course given at Brainerd, is stationed at Bowman Field, Louisville, Kentucky. He does not know where he will be transferred.
100 years ago (1922)
A meeting of representatives from various organizations in the city met to discuss the feasibility of a fiftieth anniversary celebration of Brainerd’s founding. A standing committee will be formed and the dates for the celebration have been set for July 3-8.
27/49: People in the waiting area of the Northern Pacific Railroad depot, circa 1910. Source: “Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area”, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/49: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dance and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: “Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area” published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/49: The state champion was that 1894 Brainerd amateur baseball team, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured are (front row) Frary, receiver; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, WP Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, yes; Warner, 2nd. Source: ‘Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971’. Reprinted from the Centenary edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
36/49: Brainerd Fire Department. Shipping Archive
37/49: WE Lively, the Maxwell car dealer, sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a 1911 Maxwell Mascotte Touring by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
38/49: This truck belonged to the Silas Hall transfer line just after the First World War. It was used to transport goods from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to city stores as well as for other types of moves. The photo was taken in front of the rail freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used horse and wagon teams he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/49: Brainerd’s 1916 police force, pictured here, included the following men: the plainclothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, Chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/49: This building in Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the headquarters of the Citizen’s State Bank, from 1909 until 1927, when the bank later moved to neighborhoods across the street. This photo was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
41/49: The “fill” field rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter 1938-1939. Source: “Out of the Woods, An Illustrated History of the Brainerd Lakes Region”, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
42/49: People in the waiting area of the Northern Pacific Railroad depot, circa 1910. Source: “Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area”, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
43/49: 60 Years Ago (1959) (Picture) 15-year-old Robert Dobson is interested in how long he can keep a kite in the air. He launched a kite at 3pm yesterday near the courthouse and it is still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The meteorologist says there will still be wind today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
45/49: The State Hospital campus on Highway 18.
46/49: Santa Claus takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
47/49: Children crowd around Santa Claus during Christmas festivities in downtown Brainerd.